Sunday, May 15, 2011

Taking the Plunge

I have always wanted to go skydiving. I never got around to it in my single years, then I got married and had a baby and was guilted out of doing it by my husband. However, Jason had a change of heart (more like no choice) and my friend, Melissa, and I decided we were actually going to do it. I’m not going to lie, as the day got closer my nerves got a little stronger. I was never worried about the safety more just the act of jumping out of a plane!

We had an 8AM appointment and we got there about 15 minutes early. When we walked in there was a mattress, yes a mattress, on the floor and a guy in his pjs. Apparently he sleeps there and when they say 8AM they mean 8AM. All I was thinking was that Jason would die if he could see this place. He was in AL helping with the recovery so he missed out on watching :( He really didn’t want to watch anyway so he was fine with not being there. Melissa and I sort of watched a video that was mainly about how we couldn’t sue them if we died, blah blah blah, good stuff. Then they harnessed us up. My guy gave me NO directions, so I was trying to pay attention to what my friend’s guy was telling her.

Luckily, I had a really nice “instructor” so he helped calm my nerves. A little crude, more like very crude, but at least he distracted me! On the drive up I emphasized that my sister had to go first because she got on the plane last so I had to make sure I didn’t get on the plane last… I’m getting on the plane thinking I’m in the clear, then the next person gets on and makes a second row. Of course!

I’m sitting right next to the clear plastic door as we were ascending and I really had no concept of just how high 14,000 feet was. It took longer than I expected to reach our altitude. The door opened and my instructor finally instructed me to hold on and that I could just swing my legs out of the plane if I wanted and he would roll me out. I was SO scared scooting to the edge of the plane and then sitting there with my legs hanging out. As silly as this sounds, I was actually worried about falling! I wanted him to force me out, not accidently fall when I wasn’t supposed to.

The falling wasn’t scary at all. It was fast and a little cold and really windy. I preferred the parachuting part best. You could really see around and he would spin us and other fun things. Honestly, it was so much fun and I highly recommend going skydiving! Seriously, you need to do this!

IMG_1746

Look how high up we were! It was crazy!

IMG_1757e

Still free falling and about to parachute. I was having so much fun!

IMG_1810IMG_1812

I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment