Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wicked at The Fox


Jason surprised me with tickets to see Wicked for "appreciation" (which is an inside thing we have and too long of a story to explain). If you have never been to the Fox Theatre you MUST find an event to go see. From the outside I don't find it to be very impressive. There's a neon sign and it looks like the theatre is attached to a strip mall. However, when you walk in it's as if you've entered another world. When I was younger I was part of an organization called National Charity League. For an outing we toured The Fox. There is so much history behind it and since I'm a fan of history here's a lesson for you.

1. It was originally built as a Shriners Temple sometime around the 1920s
2. It became a movie theater/live entertainment so the Shriners could afford to keep it up
3. It was almost demolished around the 70s but saved by a small organization (why in America are we always trying to tear down any little history we have)???

I was young when I toured it but it left a lasting impression on me so if you're ever in Atlanta it would be a fun and unique date. It's not even expensive!


Wicked turned out to be an amazing show, even Jason really liked it. The actors were funny and endearing and the music was fantastic. I highly recommend seeing Wicked when/if it comes back to Atlanta. I haven't heard anyone say they didn't enjoy this show. I'm going to put Wicked as my favorite for now. This wasn't the first time Jason surprised me with tickets to The Fox and it has become a little tradition of ours.




The very first time we went to The Fox. Jason took me to see The Nutcracker for Christmas. (this was when we were still dating)

4 comments:

  1. I saw it last year and loved it. You need to tell me about appreciation sometime, I like long stories ;) I showed your blog to Courtney and she loved it. So you have another follower (or as you say stalker) Meg and I always talk about how cute Katherine is. Does that make us lame that we sit around and talk about you and your family? It definitely makes me baby hungry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha... I would totally be reading your blog if you had one! You really need to make one by the way! So does Courtney and Meg and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm the only person who hasn't seen Wicked. Hopefully next year! I love the Fox too. I've only been once but liked it better than a lot of other theaters I've been to. I feel the same way about historic buildings. You'd think Atlanta especially would be sensitive to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete