Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jury Duty

I’ve heard there are people who go their entire lives without being called to jury duty. It seems a little unfair then that at the age of 26 this is my THIRD TIME to open the mailbox and see the dreaded jury summons envelope!

The first time I was in college had just turned 18 and just registered to vote. I figured my name was chosen since I registered to vote so recently. I was able to get out of it because it was during final week. I did have to go to all my professors, get them to sign a form, have it notarized, then mail it off.

The second time I was working as a nanny and it was right after I legally changed my name to Shehane. I’ve heard when you change your name it gets you put back on top of the list of possible jurors. Don’t know if that’s true but that’s how I explained being chosen again so soon. I went, spent the day there, was chosen, filled out a 10plus page questionnaire. After, I was told it was an insurance case and could last between 6-10 weeks! That was not okay with me and apparently it wasn’t okay with the family I nannied for, because she called them and I don’t know what she said but I somehow got out of it.

This time I can’t figure out why I’ve been chosen. It says if you’re the primary care giver of a child under 6 you’re excused. Fulton county is going to hate me because for the 3rd time I won’t be fulfilling my American right and serving as a juror. Why can’t I be chosen for a one week trial or when I don’t have a nursing baby? They are the ones with bad timing! It’s really not my fault I keep getting out of it…

Maybe this will teach them that I simply am not reliable and they will stop picking me!

3 comments:

  1. I HATE jury duty! I only went once and I sat there all day. I didn't have to go back but it was the biggest waste of a day. You're lucky you have a baby to get you out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be on jury duty, but I've never been summoned? called? asked? Maybe I can go in your place =) Is it true they don't pay you? What do you do if you work? Did I mention how adorable Kate is in her Christmas pictures? Probably but I just had to say it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, David and I both have yet to be chosen for jury duty (I really hope I didn't just jinx myself). Maybe your name doesn't get taken out of the running until you actually become a juror in a case. Regardless maybe you should play the lottery. Sounds like you're pretty lucky... or unlucky, hm... not sure where I was going with that!

    ReplyDelete