Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Domestic Bliss

How domestic does this sound? We only eat homemade bread! I read this book awhile age that talked about all the preservatives and unnecessary ingredients that are in most of our food. I'm not crazy or eccentric to the fact that we were only going to eat healthy non processed food. I mean we still love our Captain Crunch, chips, Lucky Charms, Poptarts... However, we eat an extremely large amount of bread. I figured I could take the main thing we eat and at least have that be healthy. Since November 2008 we have not bought a loaf of bread. Instead we make about 2 loafs a week. I do realize this means that 2 grown adults and 1 baby are eating 2 entire loafs of bread every single week. See what I mean by we eat A LOT of bread!

I mainly make whole wheat bread but Jason will try to sneak in a white loaf every once in awhile. I also discovered homemade pizza. It's so great and fun to make! Since pizza is Jason's favorite it would be wrong of me to make 100% whole wheat bread so I use a ratio of 3/4 bread flour and 1/4 whole wheat. Have to get a least a little in there ;)



6 comments:

  1. I made two loaves of bread last night! I haven't made whole wheat yet but we have a recipe for it. Do you buy whole wheat flour at the regular grocery store? I think homemade pizza is way better than Papa John's or something... maybe we should start making that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to guess that you eat 3/4 of the bread while Jason and Katherine eat 1/4! I was laughing reading this blog remembering your bread obsession. I think this means Katherine is taking after her Mom :)

    P.S. I can't beilieve you make all your bread! That's awesome and very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed! I've been thinking that I wanted to start making bread, but I've never done it before... and whole wheat too! Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! I absolutely LOVE homemade pizza! I'm so jealous that you make it so often...and homemade bread! You're killing me! I've been making Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins {with flax too...I seriously try to pack ALOT into these little morsels!} and I think I've put on about 5 lbs thanks to all of these healthy but addictive carbs. But hey, I've gotta put on that winter hibernation weight right?!! You're awesome you little domestic diva you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny, b/c I almost titled this blog Domestic Diva but decided it was alittle too presumptuous of me :) I should clarify that we don't make those little homemade loaves you normally see; we make huge loaves!
    By the way Almira I'm sure your marathons are keeping off all the bread weight! I'm impressed with your muffins with flax none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I too am very impressed. That pizza looks delicious. I absolutely love homemade bread. It is way better than store bought and better for you? That doesn't happen very often. (I'm seriously craving that pizza right now!)

    ReplyDelete