Thursday, June 4, 2009

No vegetables for me, I'm allergic


During my pregnancy I ate an entire bag of baby carrots. This resulted in me being incredibly sick. One of the few times I actually threw up during my pregnancy. After, when I was trying to go to bed my throat felt like it was closing up and I was having trouble breathing. It freaked me out a little but as long as I could breathe a little I was fine. I figured my throat was reacting from throwing up so much and was inflamed or something. A few weeks later I tried the baby carrots again with the same result but no throwing up this time. I found it very odd but blamed it on being pregnant.

For some reason I haven’t had baby carrots since those fateful nights. I had even forgotten about my strange reactions. The other day, over a year later, I was again eating baby carrots. Jason reminded me of what happened and told me I shouldn’t eat so many. I laughed at him said it was only because I was pregnant and then proceeded to try to eat the entire bag. Within a few minutes my throat started closing up and I had to stop eating them! How crazy it that? I’m not allergic to any kind of food. You’ve heard of people being allergic to milk or peanuts or even wheat, but carrots??? I mean really, what’s wrong with me?! It’s quite sad because I like very few vegetables and now I can’t even eat the one I like!

6 comments:

  1. Carrots are a strange thing to be allergic to. Do you eat them raw or cooked? If only raw, you should try them cooked and see if you're still allergic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember my sudden allergy to kiwis? It's weird how you can eat things your whole life and then suddenly become allergic to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's crazy! Pregnancy supposedly can bring those allergies to the surface since it messes with all your chemical balances. You might try eating fresh, organic carrots that you cut yourself. The baby carrots that are pre-cut and bagged have been shaped with that un-natural rounded tip via chemicals to eat away portions of the carrot so it looks a certain way. You might be allergic to that chemical? That is so bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana - I forgot about that. We're both weird!

    Almira - I know, they're all processed but they are so much better than regular carrots! It must be a mental thing, some strange aversion I have to real carrots. I guess that makes me even more weird; it's never ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! It's true...there is something more appealing about pre-cut carrots.

    You are so right about me blogging too long of a post--I was just too lazy to make them into a bunch of little ones since I was so behind! LOL...it is definitely a lot to process! But at least I've been better about actually posting! :) Oh, and the apt we're staying in is just a friend's condo that they're letting us stay in until we get into our other apt which is also downtown, but not as great of a view :( As far as races go, I will definitely try my best to get one of those awesome wood slabs next time--wish I had a pic of them...so hideous! LOL. Hope you're having a super summer!

    ReplyDelete