Monday, March 2, 2009

Farewell Old Friend

It should have been a sad day but I was ready to move on so it was a fabulous day. I have had the same green Integra since I was 16 years old. I have only had one car my entire life! However, Jason was kind enough to switch cars for a few months while I was nannying and then for permanent after Kate was born, because it is a serious pain trying to get babies/kids in and out of a two door car. I may have been driving Jason’s car but it was still his car and I still called the Integra my car.

A month ago the Integra wouldn’t start when Jason was driving home from work. I did feel bad for him but all I could think was FINALLY! We’re the kind of people who aren’t going to buy a new car when you have a perfectly running car. That would be too wasteful for us. So, I had been hoping and wishing for months, no years, that my car would die and I could buy a new one. It turns out Acura makes amazing cars. In the 10 years I had it, we replaced the battery, radiator, and spark plugs. That’s it; the car would not die.

The following weekend we dropped Kate off at my parents and spent a rainy Saturday car shopping. I already knew my dream car so we just had to find one, which turned out to be a chore in itself. There weren’t too many around us because we wanted a 2008. Another thing we will never do is buy a brand new car. We ended up finding my dream car, it was even better than I imagined! Jason liked it too because he will only buy American stuff now and the car I wanted was American. Jason haggled with them for a couple of weeks but they wouldn’t go down quite enough. It was really disappointing, but I didn’t want to spend too much so it was understandable. We continued looking for my dream car and found a few but none as good as the original one. Two weeks ago Jason contacted them again and they agreed to our original price! He took the Integra and they actually bought it from us. Seriously, I didn’t think we’d get anything for it and was planning on trying to sell it on Craigslist. I’m so glad they bought it because that meant we didn’t have to clean it or fix it up… All that annoying stuff.

I love my new car and all it’s fancy features! Jason’s just as happy as me since he now gets his car back and doesn’t have to drive the go-cart, as he called it. I did feel I needed to say a proper goodbye to my Integra. We had a lot of good times together…

5 comments:

  1. How sad, the integra is gone! The car has seen many things, especially trips to the river.
    I know I'm not family, but I loved looking at the pictures of Katherine. She is gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's the new car???????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, she seemed to leave out that detail. We got a GMC Acadia, we figured we might as well get something we can grow into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very important detail!!! do you like it? do you ever get to drive it to work or is the mom's car?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, we love it. But you know, we'll find out the true value of it 10 years down the road. I pretty much only drive it when we are together, it's Emily's car.

    ReplyDelete