Monday, March 30, 2009

Our House is a Fortress

One lovely weekend Jason had a boyscout campout/hike. Normally if Jason is gone for a campout I will stay at my parents, but I ended up staying at our house this time. Since I was home alone with Kate I decided to lock our garage door. As I lock it I think “I better remember to unlock this first thing in the morning or I’ll definitely lock myself out.”

Next Morning: I realize there isn’t enough milk for Kate. I debate going to get it later in the day but Kate was just getting over being sick and she really likes her milk in the morning. I’m in pajamas/clothes, you know the pajamas you can get away with wearing to the store. I put Kate in her carseat and realize I don’t have my phone. Run back to the door and… I’m LOCKED OUT! I knew this would happen. I haven’t switched all my keys over to my new key chain/new car keys. It is 8:30AM I’m stuck outside and Kate is still in her PJs. Luckily I had my car keys and purse so I drove over to my parent’s house.

Growing up we used to get locked out of my parents house all the time and we could always break in. They’ve changed this since then but knew we would be able to find a way in our home. My Dad comes first and tries every credit card possible to get in through the garage. Doesn’t work so my Mom comes next. We try all the tools in our garage, the door won’t budge. Our next step is to scout out the rest of the house. Every window and door is locked. We have a tall ladder so we try the upstairs windows, locked. We even asked some carpenters who live near us for help and they can’t break in.

Really it shouldn’t be a big deal that I’m locked out. But Jason is doing a 12 mile hike with the boyscouts and won’t be home until late that day and it was Saturday! I had so many plans of all the things I was going to accomplish. I was forced to go to TJ Max to buy Kate some clothes and socks for her to play in that day and then borrow some clothes from my Mom/sister to wear. I got absolutely nothing done that done.

When Jason came home he laughed and laughed at how we couldn’t get the door opened. He then went on and on about how easy it was. I made him try and even HE couldn’t get in!

I hate when I do the exact thing I tell myself over and over not to do.

3 comments:

  1. Jason willingly voluntered to take a bunch of kids on a 12 mile hike? He's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really funny, and really sad all at the same time. Greg would have laughed and thought he was better than the lock too (but he actually already has locked himself out and gotten in), but I'm sure it was satisfying when Jason couldn't get the door open either. At least he wasn't gone for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, I only tried for about 30 seconds. With a little more time, I would have gotten in...

    ReplyDelete