Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Survival

During my first trimester I had a concern that I called my Doctors office about. I was talking to the nurse and she said, “Honey, the first trimester is all about survival.” How true!

I survived the constant worry of miscarriage. I was fortunate that I was able to hear the heartbeat at 7 weeks then again at 10 weeks. Even though I was extremely relieved after hearing the heartbeat the first time I still couldn’t help but worry. I don’t think of myself as a pessimist or even extreme worrier, except when it comes to being pregnant. I don’t know why but I worry about something wrong happening. I know it still could and even now there’s no guarantee but my worry seems to be mainly focused during the first trimester.

I survived the “morning” sickness, which for me means 24hr a day sickness. Literally, I would wake up during the middle of the night and it would take forever to fall back asleep because I was so sick. I was really sick with Katherine, but this was even worse. It’s hard when you never get a break. I had a few weeks straight of not even having a minute of feeling good. Then I got about an hour each morning and I loved that hour. It was still hard though because there was nothing I could do and I tried everything! You know how even when you feel horrible it still feels good to lay on the couch under a blanket, watch a movie, and have someone take care of you? Even when I was lying around, which I did A LOT of, I still felt miserable!  Plus you don’t want to complain because you want this baby more than anything and would suffer as much as possible if it means a healthy baby.  Luckily I’m not one of those few who are sick their entire pregnancy. I really don’t know how they do it!

So, I’m excited to be in this stage of the pregnancy. I’m still sick but it’s only in the evenings and it’s getting better every day! I can be more active with Kate and the house is no longer falling apart. I can actually cook dinner so we’re not surviving off quesadillas, cereal, fast food, or whatever Jason could find in the pantry for him and Kate to eat.  I should add that Jason was very patient with me during my “sickness” and really helped out with cleaning and playing with Kate. I know he’s glad for that stage to be over though :) And so am I since we definitely have different definitions of clean!

1 comment:

  1. It's SO HARD not to worry! Even after the first trimester, for me. Being sick is so tough but you've been such a champ, especially with a toddler to take care of. I'm glad it seems to be going away and I love that once that stage is over, you kind of forget how bad it was. I was nauseated this morning and remembered for a minute how awful it was to have that 24 hours a day!

    ReplyDelete