Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We're Stuck

For those of you who don’t live in or around Atlanta – We are coming out of a minor gas shortage. There was a little delay in shipments but the real problem was US. People freaked out because of what happened after Ike(which didn’t even really affect us) so everyone took their Mommy SUVs and topped off their cars. Well gas stations aren’t equipped for everyone to top off every car they own, so gas stations ran out of gas.
There were a few stations with gas but first you had to find them then you had to wait in a long line.

Jason and I were discussing this and we realized we could live without our cars. Jason can work from home. He has one of those jobs you can do from anywhere; he just gets more done at the office. Our neighborhood is also centrally located to everything we need:

¼ mile away – restaurants, dentist, our bank
½ mile – little grocery store, excerds, our doctors office, blockbuster, more restaurants, Brusters…
2.8 miles – my parents, I have actually walked this before. I made my Dad drive me back, but it is possible to do.
3 miles – movie theater, even though we don’t really go anymore now that Kate’s here, more shops than I can count.

Unfortunately there would be one major problem. Our church building is way too far to walk! Also, we would have to give up some great things: Super Target (how anyone can live without this store, I don’t know), weekend trips, visiting friends who live in other towns…

Jason drives my old car (thank you again!!!) which can go forever on a tank. I could make it from Athens to my parents with it practically on empty. He’s been driving on the same tank for the past 1.5 weeks and is doing okay. We are going to Columbus this weekend and I only had an 1/8 of a tank left. This meant I was one of those people who hunted down an open gas station and then waited in the line. I now have a full tank and we’re ready to go! We're looking to forward to hanging out with family this weekend!!!

3 comments:

  1. about 20 minutes, but it was 20 min. of singing kid songs and saying nursery rhymes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky. I had to get gas last week for work when it was really bad and I waited a hour! I probably didn't need to wait so long but didn't want to drive around. They say it's supposed to be back to normal this weekend!

    ReplyDelete