Friday, February 10, 2012

A Broken Arm Deserves Some Spoiling

Kate was exhausted when we finally got home which is not surprising considering everything she had been through and it was after 10PM. She also was in pain and not used to the cast and had to keep her arm elevated on a pillow. Thankfully she was still able to fall asleep quickly and slept until 5AM when she woke up in pain. I gave her some medicine and she went right back to sleep and slept until 9:45! I had kept Abby in my room for most of the morning so we wouldn’t wake Kate (her door was cracked) but poor Abby eventually needed to move on.

Jason carried Kate downstairs, she ate breakfast, then I set her up on the couch with pillows and blankets. She watched movies and did not move until finally that afternoon she sat up to eat lunch. I was able to give her more medicine then and she felt much better, a little too good. I kept trying to make her sit and be still. The orthopedist said it’s really important the first 2 days that she doesn’t do too much or hit/bump/knock her arm. Kate finally told me, “I just want to move!”

I’m lucky she didn’t quite realize she could have ANYTHING she wanted that day! She was laying on the couch but didn’t have the best view of the tv, so I moved the couch with her on it of course :) More juice, sure. More movies, you bet. Fix your pillow, on it…

She was also spoiled by friends and family. My parents came over to check on her. My Dad brought her a donut with pink icing and sprinkles. My Mom brought stickers, a coloring page, and some funny hats (luckily she brought one for Abby too so she didn’t feel left out). It was nice having my parents around because I needed to do laundry and cleaning and give Abby some attention but I didn’t want to leave Kate for a minute since she really couldn’t do anything herself.

Friends called to check on her and see if there was anything they could do which I really appreciated! Thanks everyone for the texts and phone calls! She even face timed with my sister to show off her pretty cast. Melissa and Audrey brought her balloons and treats which was the highlight of her day and she literally perked up after and was smiling and counting her treats and telling everyone about her balloons :) Our neighbors also brought some flowers by for her which made her feel quite special. Then Rita, the lady who has cleaned my parents house forever and is so nice, brought her a Barbie doll.

She’s also very excited to go to Columbus next weekend so she can show everyone her cast!

I’ve slowly been bringing her back down to reality because she was starting to get a little too used to getting whatever she wanted and having everything her way ;)

Balloons

She’s feeling a lot better but her arm still hurts, especially when the Motrin is wearing off. I’m amazed by how tough she is. She wants to do things herself already and it’s incredible how she has already adapted to wearing a cast. I haven’t minded all the cuddle time either! Hopefully, everyday will be better and eventually she won’t have any pain!

~She had her first bath last night and it was not an easy experience. I still don’t know what clothes she’s going to be able to wear either. I’m not sure if this will get easier or just be a pain for the next 6 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment