Friday, April 19, 2013

Ode to Faith and Church "Family"

I saved this for last but really it's the most important. My testimony in God and Jesus Christ allowed me to handle this trial and not to wallow in self pity or pull the woe is me card. I think I've handled this whole situation well, but I know the credit is not mine. It was because I had God with me the entire time. I don't believe God "gave" me this trial or I was meant to experience this. I do strongly believe, though, that how we handle trials and what we make of our situations can make us grow closer to God. I strongly believe in blessings and I'm thankful for Jason's role and the comfort I received through blessings. I've been pretty open about this cancer experience, but there are some things that are still personal and private to me and my family. Know that I have no doubt in my beliefs and my faith was what carried me through the past year.

I also strongly believe in the power of prayer and I have to say I felt the many many prayers said for me. I remember feeling such a peace the week after I was diagnosed. There was no reason for this, no news had been given to make the situation better. I know it was because of all the prayers that were being said for me. Friends, family, strangers(!) prayed for me by name and there is no way I can ever thank them enough for me. Friend's churches sent me blankets they made, or cards of encouragement, or included me on their prayer lists, or lit a candle for me, or put me on their prayer rolls. I could go on and on about how much faith people around me have and how I benefited from their faith.

Our personal church really rallied behind me. Meals were set up, gift cards were delivered, a cleaning service was scheduled for me, prayers were said, kids were watched. A lady from our church came over every. single. Monday. for a couple of hours and watched the kids so I could rest or do laundry or go to the doctors... Another lady brought fruit and vegetables to our house every. single. week. Another lady made homemade bread for us during the entire time. Another lady watched our kids for multiple hours during my chemo cycles and brought fun little gifts for the kids. Another, who owns a preschool, offered to let our kids come for free every day. We weren't able to send Abby to preschool due to germy little kids :) but what a kind offer! We were included in prayers, fasts, temple rolls; i.e., what I needed most. My situation was not unique though, service like this is a common occurrence in my church!

I am very blessed.

www.lds.org
www.mormon.org

1 comment:

  1. I will say amen to having faith to get through trials. And I admire your not playing the "woe is me" card, because that's not easy to do. You are a great example of faith and determination, and that is such blessing to everyone who knows you.

    ReplyDelete