Friday, April 19, 2013

Ode to Friends

When you need to be uplifted there's no one better than friends. It was a very scary time when I was first diagnosed. My friends were amazing and really helped me get through that crucial time. I was gifted and visited and loved and prayed for. We obviously needed a lot of help with childcare during this year and I always knew I had people I could count on. Friends willingly came to our house and watched our kids for us. One friend took the girls every Friday of chemo week for the entire day even though she had kids of her own. One friend spent the night to help me take care of Liam since Jason had promised the girls he would camp with them in the backyard. At the very beginning, a group of friends began planning and organizing to surprise me with the most amazing quilt (that I blogged about earlier). Friends took and picked up Kate from preschool when I needed. Not only did I know I could count on them, they gave me normalcy in my life. An old high school friend even mailed a a huge box of crafts and activities to entertain Kate and Abby. Other friends mailed gifts to the kids, including the cutest little puppet show. Girl's nights were not as common as before but still such a treat for me. I loved how they would try to get snacks I could eat. It was hard being stuck at home a lot and a little isolated but my friends always made sure to let me know they were thinking of me and included me even when they knew I couldn't come. It really meant a lot to me, more than I can express. My sister's friends even drove all the way up to our home and stocked my fridge and pantry.

The most helpful thing was how Dana organized all the scheduling for me. Things were a little overwhelming at the beginning and then when I was sick everything took so much effort. It was so nice not having to worry about childcare or meals or whatever it was. Every single cycle she coordinated with everyone and scheduled it out so I didn't have to do a thing or worry. She also stayed at our house a couple of nights (with her 2 kids) and watched our kids during the day. They had so much fun playing with her, especially Quigley, her dog!

Really, this post does not even begin to describe how great my friends were to me. I'm so thankful to have each and everyone of them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment