Friday, April 19, 2013

Ode to Jason

Cancer effects not only the person who's diagnosed, but the entire family.

I believe it was my Mom who said when all this started, "We always knew Jason was good ......."

From the day I agreed to marry Jason I've been that obnoxious girl who talks about how perfect their fiance/husband is. That's because he has always been perfect for me. Jason is my best friend, my strength, my support. I can't even begin to describe what he has done the past year.

He took care of me like no one else could. When I needed to rest he took over. When I needed to talk he listened. When I was too sick to talk he understood. When I needed encouragement he was unrelenting in his faith. When a specific food sounded good he cooked it for me. When I was dehydrated and couldn't drink liquids he bought me a snow cone maker and made me icess.

The best thing Jason did for me was made me laugh, A LOT. Of course, there were tears when we found out my diagnosis but we were still "us" during all this too. It may sound odd, but we genuinely did laugh a lot through all this. Sometimes you just have to. This probably seems silly or vain but he made me feel pretty, which isn't silly to me. We actually went on a lot of date nights during all this since it was so exciting when I was feeling well; we didn't want to waste them. He kept people updated though emails when I wasn't able to respond to everyone or simply didn't want to rehash everything over and over again. I actually didn't know he was doing this for awhile. He knew I needed that before I even did.

Jason gave me the hope and courage I needed.

He had to practically be a single Dad during some of this. When I was first diagnosed Liam was still a little baby who was waking up during the night. Jason took over this duty. He had never had to get up with our babies before since I had always nursed. He woke up with the kids EVERY morning and fed them breakfast. He bathed all 3 kids at night. He put them to bed almost every night. He worked all day then played with kids when he was done. He made dinner for us to eat. He took the kids to the park on Saturdays... He's always been a good Dad but he went above and beyond these past few months.

We are so blessed with Jason's job. He is doing a start up company which of course means a lot of work for him. However, it also meant he could work from home as much as he wanted (which he pretty much did every day) and he could work at night or during the day or in the waiting room, or whenever he needed to. Most importantly, he was able to go to every important doctor's appointment with me. I needed to have Jason with me, I needed his support and I never had to stress about whether he could be there or not.

I love him so much and think we make a pretty good team ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment