Friday, April 19, 2013

Ode to Family

We are so blessed to live near family. I highly recommend it to everyone, and not just in case of a crisis or emergency. Nothing will ever compare to family and their unconditional love. We would not have made it through the past year without family. Not only did we make it through, but our kids were pretty much unfazed and I know that's from feeling loved and taken care of by our family. We joke that this year was the most fun our kids have had. It's seems like it would be harder being diagnosed with cancer when you have a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a 5 month old but we are actually blessed they were so young. They knew Mommy had to take medicine that gave her a stomach ache and made her hair not grow. Thankfully though, they're too young to have heard of cancer and the connotations that surround that word. They were never scared because they didn't know that was even an option.

My parents pretty much put their lives on hold for us. They watched our kids more hours than I can count. They went to more doctor's appointments than I can count. They took care of me when I was sick. My two best chemo cycles were when I stayed at my parents for a few days. I was fed and slept as much as I needed. The first time I stayed at my parents Liam was with me too. He had a cold, and Liam does not like being sick. He was up during the night and early in the morning. My Mom got up with him everytime since I was too sick. Many days they took Kate to preschool and picked her up and took her to speech, they took Abby to gymnastics, they took the girls to lunch, they had slumber parties with the girls, they helped me if Jason needed to work, they fixed us food, they did laundry.... Honestly, there is no end to all they did. My parent's friends rallied behind us too, and I know that's because of the wonderful people my parents are. My Mom had surgery when I finished chemo, and just a few days later we were trying to find someone to watch the kids for an all day Doctor's appointment that started at 6AM. Jason, commented on how the 5 previous months would have been impossible without her help. (Jason's sister, Jenny, spent the night at our house and got up and watched the kids that day).

My sister came with me to almost every chemo treatment and to many visits for me to get fluids. This was no easy feat considering she lives in a completely different state! My very first chemo treatment was a little unnerving. Jennifer came prepared with bags of goodies, food, chapstick, magazines, shoes... I actually enjoyed this time because I didn't feel sick on chemo days and we got to sit around and talk about her wedding and wedding plans. It was a fun distraction. She also came back for my surgery. She stayed at the hospital with me and would push my pain pump all night while I slept :) She took care of my drains and took care of me my first night out of the hospital. She even held my hair while I got sick. Nothing compares to having a sister and that is why I'm so happy Kate and Abby have each other (and Liam gets 2 sisters)! Honestly, she did so much more than what I've written here.

Jason's Mom came and stayed with us during one of my cycles. It's not easy watching 3 little kids, especially when you don't get a break. Jason also took the kids to Nashville during one cycle, where his parents and sisters helped watch the kids so he could work. During my last cycle he took the kids to Columbus, where again his parents and sisters helped watch our kids. The girls had so much fun on these trips and couldn't have been happier. Jason's Mom also came and stayed with us for about two and a half weeks when I had surgery.  I was in the hospital for a couple of days, then stayed at my parents for a few days to recover some more before kids were crawling and jumping on me :) She did everything. I mean everything! We never could have managed without her help. Liam and MeeMaw did some serious bonding during this time. He was one spoiled boy and I know he loved every minute of his time with MeeMaw. Knowing the person taking care of your kids truly loves them is the most wonderful feeling.

Jason's sister Jenny helped us multiple times and was amazing with the kids. Our sister-in-law SAM and our nieces Rachel and Sara came up and helped us too. Laura and Andy also helped us out. Jason sent me many pictures of Susan holding Liam when he took the kids down to Columbus. I know Scott was thinking of us too from Colorado. We are so blessed. How many people have the support of literally every single family member from both couples?!

Really, the most important thing to us during all this was the kids. Making sure they were taken care of, loved, happy, and unaffected was so crucial to me. Amazingly, it happened but only because of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment