Friday, July 25, 2008

Yum...Real Food (sort of)

Katherine is now allowed to eat solids! She's been eating rice cereal for about a month and loved it. We never had any trouble with her since she tries to eat anything we put near her mouth. She loved sucking on peppers from our garden but we had to quit that when she tried to eat it whole. The first "solid" we gave her was squash. She was very insulted that we were trying to put something so nasty in her mouth (baby food really is disgusting). But after 2 tries she was eating it like it was no big deal.

I used to always make fun of the moms who would only feed their baby organic food or would use homemade baby food. Somewhere along the way I've turned into one of those moms. It started when I saw a box of organic whole grain rice cereal that just seemed so appealing, then I realized how easy it would be to puree some vegetables.... I blame my sister for telling me about all the chemicals in our food :) Of course I still eat the worst junk food imaginable but Katherine is going to be a very healthy eater. Jason likes to point out that I'm going to have to start eating vegetables if I'm going to make her. I plan on waiting until she's aware of her surroundings; no point in forcing myself now when she doesn't even know what's going on! Eventually I know Kate will be eating fruit roll-ups and McDonalds so for now I'll live in my dream world of all healthy non GE food



It tastes much better on my thumb


I love my carrots


What? You're taking my food away from me????


I don't think so

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Emily! I would love to do the whole organic/homemade baby food thing but it seems so time consuming. I realize that's not really a good reason for not doing it and to be fair I've never really given it a shot. I think it's wonderful though because I'm constantly worrying about what Sydney's eating and if she's getting enough nutrition. At least you will know that what Kate is getting is healthy and quality food. Good habits are essential because once they discover candy it all goes down hill! I love the picture of Kate with her mouth in an O shape. She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Cute blog background! And you said you weren't good at this whole blogging thing...puhleez! You are like Super-Mom! Write a book would ya?!? So then, when I'm a mom I can just flip to a chapter like "made from scratch...baby crib, baby food, etc." I'll be anxiously awaiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever decide to become one of "those moms", now I'll know who to turn to. Most moms start really enjoying their baby's puree'd vegetables. Just give it a little more time. :) We need to come hang out sometime! Kate is so big! She is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete